Friday, April 4, 2014

B'ham Wanderings - Post War

  
Wandered down to Birmingham, AL last week. Took a few pictures out and about, then headed to my destination: The Bottletree to see one of my favorite bands, Post War, play.



Despite having lived in Birmingham for two years, I had never been to this cafe/bar before. I fell in love with the place almost immediately. Some great kitsch populated the windows and they sported an entire wall of velvet paintings (one of my secret loves). Normally I find televisions in bars and restaurants disgusting, but even here was something interesting - classic Dune was on the viewer.



In contrast to the usual barfly selection of fried crap, I heard they had some decent food. They did have some decent selections that I could eat, and even more impressive, some vegan dessert. 



As a side note, for you dairy eaters, check out the dessert menu next time you're at a restaurant and count how many items don't have any milk products in them. If you find any, PLEASE let me know. Despite the many delicious dairy-free options available at the stores, you'll find hardly any at eateries.



The Bottletree also featured a pretty nifty stage and accommodating staff. They also have a patio, but I was a bit chilly that evening, and decided to wait until next visit to check that out.


I had a Snake Handlers beer, made by local B'ham brewers, Good People, while I waited for Post War to begin.

I first saw Post War play at Invisible Fest. Since then I have seen them whenever I got the chance. 

They mostly play their original songs, which are charged with emotion, and when they do a cover, they do it with so much flair you aren't guaranteed to recognize it. The song becomes theirs.




Front man Tyler Nafe will likely be the first member of the band to come up an introduce himself. He masterfully communicates emotion through his singing voice. 

Tyler can also pronounce my name correctly.








Jimmie Monroe Gregory is on guitar, mandolin, and also some back up vocals, along with everyone in the band.


Brett Joiner on several stringed instruments and the keyboard during poignant moments. 





Harrison Jones has the percussion end covered, along with delivering some surprisingly nice vocals in the occasional song.


I was sad to Dana McCollum Timms was missing from the ensemble the night I took photos, due to car trouble. She plays my favorite instrument, the violin, and delivers the majority of back-up vocals.


However, the band's artist, Jaeme Case stepped up that evening to deliver vocals. It had been many years since I'd heard Jaeme sing and was pleased to hear her again.


I rarely use a flash for stage events. It's distracting to the performers, and terribly annoying for the paying audience. However, I will piggy back on other photographer's flashes, like in the photo below.


It makes for interesting lighting when the flash comes from another angle.


After the show, I finally picked me up a Post War t-shirt, featuring the P+W fox, Jaeme Case designed. I'm sure selfies will hit my Instagram account soon.


So overall, a great night. I'll be down there again, enjoying a drink...and some tofu cheesecake.








As always, click on any image in my blog for a larger view.
















Thanks for looking!



No comments:

Post a Comment