Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fat Tuesday 2014 - Athens Art Heads

 Huntsville may have had it's big celebration on Saturday, but a few places still had some fun events happening on Fat Tuesday.

 

Athens had it's One-Block Mardi Gras parade next to the courthouse. A pretty good turn out, and absolutely amazing costumes made it worth the drive.



The theme was Steampunk Circus, so already my interest was peaked. Then I read more about Athen's University and their art program designing papier-mache heads for the Decatur parade and for their own. I went to Huntsville parade on Saturday, so I wanted to catch the Art Heads on Fat Tuesday.

I was not disappointed - fun ideas and great detail with electric lights mounted in the heads.























The parade was truly a night time parade, something lacking in Huntsville, so despite its tininess, the parade was unique in this area.




 I was even asked to join the parade. I did a lap giving out beads and then joined the crowd to take photos.


















I tied for first in the costume contest and was awarded some awesomely huge beads. This almost makes up for the Bacchus beads I lost...almost.

With the mayor of Athens




With the Mayor on the Courthouse steps


Waiting for judgement













As always, click on any image to make it larger.


























































































If you're scared of clowns, this won't help

Next up, check out Brotha Ric and the Chickenbone Reunion Blues and Soul Trio, playing for Mardi Gras Tuesday at Amendment XXI.

Thanks for looking!



























No comments:

Post a Comment