Monday, February 17, 2014

Wade Wharton Sculpture Trail pt. 3

 "Light bulbs die, my sweet. I will depart." --Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
 
detail from "Blue Bottle Tree"

My third and final blog post about my journey discovering Wade Wharton. If you're just now joining us, be sure to catch part 1 and part 2


detail from "Jack In The Beanstalk"

























Discovering Wharton's sense of humor was a delectable surprise. Some are jokes on the turn of a phrase.

"Spring Just Around The Corner"


Some are puns on the materials used for the sculpture. My partner and I puzzled over the meaning of this piece, made from an old plough. I consulted my mother later who reminded me that "to harrow" meant to plow the ground. 

"How Did These Flowers Get In Har?"
















Most of his pieces are full of whimsy. 

cow from "Jack In The Beanstalk"

 Loved his dog and cat pair! The caption for "Digger" states that Wharton added the goggles to keep the dirt from getting in the dog's eyes. 
 
"Digger"

 Even when they seem straightforward, there's often more than meets the eye, such as in this piece made from an old sewing machine.

"Tractor"


"Dragon Fly"



















Sometimes I think his artwork was an affirmation of life for him. Wade told one interviewer that he, "tried everything to capture these neat feelings that I've had. I want people to know that after a stroke this is what you can do."

"Red Man" in the bamboo

January 15th, Wade Wharton was murdered in his home. Seeing his artwork was an affirmation of life for me as well - dealing with my own grieving for family lost.

detail of "Fan Blade Flower (unpainted)"

"When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written 'He dies.' That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is 'He dies.' It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with 'He dies.' And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words 'He dies.' but because of the life we saw prior to the words."
--Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

detail of "I Dig That"

 Walking the Wade Wharton Sculpture Trail, we came near to the end at "Blue Bottle Tree". The sun was going in and out of wispy clouds as it journeyed  towards the horizon.

detail from "Blue Bottle Tree"

Something so simple, that was absolutely striking when you looked at it the right way. Death is surprising like that, no matter how it comes.

detail from "Twisted Tail"

In the last few years of his life, Wharton was worried about the continuation of his work after he passed. Where would his artwork go? Would a museum agree to care for it?

detail from "Blue Bottle Tree"

















I  hope so. In fact, let's insist on it. As I said, death is the great unifier.


detail from "Blue Bottle Tree"

 So we've reached the end of my Wade Wharton Trilogy blogging. I hope you have enjoyed the journey as much as I have. The Wade Wharton Sculpture Trail is currently at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens. Go check it out and remember a wonderful man.

"I've lived all five of my acts, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest 'He died.'"
--Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium 


No comments:

Post a Comment