Saturday, June 21, 2014

Solstice Vegetation

Chocolate Mint










Today is the summer solstice, and fittingly one of those hot, lazy days where all you want to do is vegetate. 

The longest day of the year can give you a long time to think about things. Especially since you'll not likely feel like getting up to do anything else in the heat. 

I hope you're marking the day in your own way, with bonfires, cookouts, walking barefoot, or - if you're like me - with photographs of the world around you.
 
 
Zucchini

Lately I've been trying to hone my skills taking pleasing photos of vegetables, which I have never found all that pleasing looking. There's a poem that says to say that one has see any thing, one must get face to face with it; smell it; get closer and to eye level; in other words to become that thing. 

Garlic

I've always been a better macro photographer than any other kind, so I got up close and personal with the vegetables in my garden. I discovered a pretty world was there.


Eggplant

Humans have a habit of hovering over things, looking down. This perspective is probably part of our foolish notion that we are "above" nature, or that we are somehow separate. So this Solstice, come meet my vegetables, get to know them, then go get to know the world around your house.

Blueberry

























Cucumber

Thanks for looking! Click on any photo to view it larger. 

Check out more of my photos on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment